Monday, March 26, 2007

Stretch!

Last week I only went to one of my dance classes; dance movements. I decided that I didn't want to spend the other class struggling, since I knew we were going to be working on V's, and I am still trying to wrap my mind aorund how to flex one or the other hip flexor *without* lifting that leg. I promised myself that even though I was';t going to class I was still going to practice at home, and do my stretches and maybe run on the treadmill and do some weights in the weight room. Yeah right. Knitting got in the way. That and the fact that time runs away with no warning.
So I have not been to class in a week. Bad Kiwi. I did go again tonight though. And if I didn't know any better, I would think that I needed breaks from dancing more often! It was incredible. I felt the correct muscles contracting when I wanted them to. My balance was better than previously. And my turn out feels stronger and more controlled.
At the beginning of class, we warm up and do stretches, including splits to each side and when in belly dance, we'll even do a straddle. I have never done splits before or even attempted them before dancing at this school (note: I started at the end of September in 2005). Every class I have been working on getting into my splits properly and having both my hips facing forward instead of one opening out, as well as geting as low as possible. This of course means I am supporting myself on my hands at the same time. Today was no different than any other day; I was focusing on keeping my left hip down and forward while working on my right side split, when T walked up behind me and said in my ear "Don't be scared." as she placed her hands on my hips, nudged the left one further forward and pressed down. Holy!! I had dropped 3 inches, at least. I was more concentrated on breathing through the burn of opening and stretching to take a moment to look in the mirror to see how low I was, and truth be told, my eyes were closed through most of it. When we switched sides and worked on the left side split, I tried to mimic the same thing she had done and forced myself to go trhough my safety zone. My left calf was touching the floor, and looking in the mirror, I was only inches away from being in my full split. Woo!!!! I'm stretching! I am gaining more flexibility, and my dancing is going to improve because of this!
Who's excited? That would be me. :o)

No comments: