Thursday, March 22, 2007

Pigeons

Most of the winter I have been ignoring the plants on my balcony since it was winter, cooler, and I expected it to rain. Okay, so the rain part? Not so much. I am beginning to try to nurse my plants back to a flourishing and less dead state. Since it has started to get warmer, I have begun watering the plants more often, and more than half of my plants are thriving again. So are the pigeons that love hangning out on my deck. One of the things I was planning on doing this weekend was cleaning off the pigeon poop that is littered around. While watering one of the plants, I saw pigeon tail feathers close to the edge. I nudged the plant that was closest to the bird twice in order to get it to flutter off. While moving onto the strawberry plants, I continued to hear this odd chirping that sounded like it was coming from below me. I looked down to where I scared off the bird, and this is what I found:

I can't believe it! They made a nest and hatched babies! They look like they hatched only hours ago, at the most. Once I saw them I felt bad for scaring away the parent. I guess the pigeons win. I can't really shoo them off until the nestlings can fend for themselves, because really; who wants to be the one to orphan andkill little baby birds, even if they do grow up to be pesky pigeons?

2 comments:

BeanMama said...

I love pigeons, is that weird?

Did you know that more pigeons (32) than any other animal have been awarded the Dickin Medal for heroism?

Yup - more pigeons than dogs have saved human lives.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/animals_vc.shtml

Kiwi said...

It's not weird to love pigeons! Just like it's not weird to love rats (which I know plenty of people who do).

That is interesting about them saving lives; who'd a thunk it?