Friday, March 30, 2007

Most/Least Favorites...

My SP10 Hostess, Robin has asked her group to write about their most favorite and least favorite yarns, why, and what we have knit with them. I had a somewhat difficult time trying to decide which yarn I absolutely loved knitting with, and had to think pretty hard abaout it. One of my thoughts was Karabella Boise, because let's face it. Who doesn't love cashmere? However this yarn lost love points from me because if I made one teeny itty mistake, I had to tink back extremely carefully so that the stitches didn't felt together while frogging. Speaking of chashmere, I think Lana Grossa Pashmina would be one of my tops picks. This is very soft to knit with and is increadibly soft and lovely. The other yarn tied in first would be Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb. 50/50 silk and merino wool, I made a scarf out of this for my Mother in Law. It was so soft on my fingers and it just flew off the needles. I couldn't believe that blocking it would make it even softer, but it did. This stuff was incredible.

As for my least favorite yarrn, I would have to say hands down without a doubt it would be Lion Brand Suede. A few years ago in my knitting infacy, I saw an adorable pattern for a bolero that I wanted to make, and bought some Lion Suede. It would be my first attempt at making a fitted garnment (this is pre-sock making) other than a hat. It was going great; I had the front and back finished and was waiting to make the sleeves before seaming everything together, then I realized the back was an inch longer than the front, and I had to frog. This stuff is *awful* when it comes to frogging. It lost what little bounce it had, fuzz stripped off and left balding patches on the yarn, and when reknit, it was clear which section had been ripped once, twice, and three times. Before I was able to finish the sleeves, I shoved it in the bottom of my stash and left it there. For almost 2 years, before I finally cut my losses, pulled out the needles and stitch holders, and threw the thing into the garbage. It made my hands hurt trying to knit it was it was not at all fun.
I am not one to turn my nose at a yarn because it is acrylic, or a blend, or "fake", but not all man made yarns are created equal. There are good quality acrylics, and then there are the sad excuses for plastic yarn. The second is when the Lion Suede falls.

1 comment:

Nittany Knits said...

I love Karabella, too! It's hard to find here in Maryland, so I save up for my trips to New York and go to their store 'School Products'.