Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Remember this?

Calling all children of the 80's or parents of children of the 80's.

Who remembers the Loops and Loom (or whatever the heck it was called). Somewhere between my childhood and the point where I learned to knit I had forgotten about this thing. The other day, I suddenly remembered it and that when my brother and I were still wearing those bright yellow short shorts with white piping along the edges and up the sides, this was the best. thing. ever. The connection was actually made when someone was talking about knitting looms and I thought how remarkably familiar they seemed.


It's basically this square red loom, I guess (is it just me or was everything in the 1980's red?) where a kid would be given these little loops of fabric. The loops themselves are hilarious. Maybe 200 different non matching colors of these loops of different sizes would be sold in one bag, and note: those that were not up to my standards would be left in the bag, so before a whole bag was empty the parents would be out to buy more. The loops would be stretched across the square in one direction and the others going in the other direction would be woven through before being stuck on the pegs on the other side. I think all my brother and I ever made were ugly mismatching colored square potholders with that one convenient loop left sticking out of a corner so that it could be hung on...whatever we were hanging potholders on at the time. And if that potholder wasn't used for its intended purpose, it was the biggest insult to our little child lives.
I seem to think my husband might also have made some of those. It was one of those great things that kids of the 80's spent way too much time not getting into trouble doing. Kind of like shrinky-dinks. Those kinds of things need to be brought back. Oh no. Not for today's kids. But for us. Since we can now truely appreciate them at this age.

No comments: