Monday, May 22, 2006

Knit Picks

Today I received my very first knitpicks order. I had purchased a box of blocking pins, and two sock yarns: 2 balls each of Simple Stipes in the color Sweet Tarts, Dancing in the color Jig, and two books: Sensatinal Socks and Fabulous Felted Bags. Dancing looks pretty cool. I can't wait to start making a pair of socks out it. I am thinking of either doing it by Magic loop or using two circular needles so that I can do them both at the same time. Knowing the way I knit, they'll come out at different gauges if I do them independantly. I briefly flipped through both of the books, and became overwhealmed by the socks book. It has so much detail and information. Granted, I only had a few minutes to flip through so when I have more time to really look at it I know it'll be fabulous. I also looked through the felted bags book, and am partially disappointed with it. I think the frog bag is cute, but things like the swan and the queens ball look... like I'd never even think about attempting those. Oh well. Also, the Simple Stripes color wasn't exactly what I had expected, but this is going to be one of my first pairs of socks, so it doesn't matter. And it is definitely not to say that I don't like the colors as they are.
Horray! Knitting is fun!

2 comments:

Cindy/Snid said...

You don't know me, but I want to encourage you to use the Sensational Knitted Socks book. You can look at my blog for my first completed pair. (I have been knitting for many years, but somehow never "did socks"!) Anyway, I am currently working on pair number two with a pattern from this book and I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE it! I will post about the second pair soon, but simply said, if you use the techniques for measuring and determining gauge in the SKS book, you just can't go wrong! Good luck...

Kiwi said...

The reason I bought the book was because it was recommended to me. I heard that it was a very good book and breaks down everything for someone to start making socks. *Note when I said I had only minutes to skim through it.. I had minutes. So by looking at titales and pictures.. a little intimidatiing. Maybe when I have at least an hour it'll look more friendly :o)
And thank you for your encouragement!!