Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Belly dancing and knitting

This one is a little bit of a change of pace from the other posts, but it is "belly knitter" for a reason. So because I am kinda poor, I can only afford to go to two classes a week; Dance Movements I and Belly Dance II. This means that I don't get in quite as much dance practice as I want/should unless I motivate myself to get up and practice on days I am not in class. Which happens... but not as frequently as I would like. Last Wednesday we were working on interior hip squares, which are sharp conrtactions in the lower abs, glutes, and lower back and when combined (lower abs, L glute, lower back, R glute) turn into what looks like your body making a little muscle contraction square. ....I'm slow... so I would try doing it in pieces adding onto each other. Mind you, we are walking around the room while doing these. So I would get my proper footing on beat. Then I would do the glute contractions on their proper beats, and once I had both of those down, I would add in the lower abs and back into the mix. Easy!...kinda.. When I added in the abs/back to the combo, I would lose my foot work. So I settled for just trying to get the glutes and foot work down.

At one point, I just stopped and looked at my instructor and said "I feel like a duck" She told me "I love your brutal honesty". But pretty much, I am going to feel like a duck for a while and will have to get used to that. One of my friends suggested to me that we form a troupe called "Things That Float" since she claims to dance like a board and not move in the directions she wants to. Tomorrow is interior hip circles (smoothed out version of the squares) so I am hoping I feel a little less ducky.

Ducky or not, I love dance :o)

As for new knitting news, over the weekend I bought two new needle cases from the SUPER Joann Craft store that just opened up near me. So now I have a nice needle case for my circular needles, a case for my short needles, and one for my long needles. I finally have an organizational system for them! Good thing too, now that the kitties have taken to chewing on the ends of my bamboo needles. I think a certain someone was tempting them too much by teasing them with the needles laying around...

I can't wait until we move (two weeks!!!) because then I can buy a new shelving unit for my yarn. Currently it is all piled in a basket I have and covered with plastic bags of... more yarn. The cats dig through it to grab the *most* expensive balls (yes. the cashmere/silk blend) and string them across the apartment. Sigh. This unit.. *totally* having doors on them! Ha ha.

No comments: