Friday, November 24, 2006

Dance Update

It seems it's been a while since updating here. I danced on both Monday and Wednesday, and the fall/winter months seem to be more heavily taught by T, while it seems K gets a heavier load during the spring/summer months. So T taught both of the classes I took. Monday I took dance movements. I usually don't have a lot of problems in that class (unless I take off a few weeks, and that results in not even pointing my toes correctly) so I left that class feeling very worked and very good. We did a number of work out combinations that I hadn't done before, and sometimes the change is welcome. Monday was definitely one of those days; it was very refreshing.
Wednesday I took the belly dance level 2 class. Before the class, Jamila was in the back room; I am not used to seeing her there unless there is a workshop and certainly not at 8pm. I talked with her breifly; she is such an amazing person. I also talked with another dancer who I hadn't seen in months, and we gave each other updates on what's been going on. She has joined a belly dance troupe, and things seem to be going very well there. We also talked about level 3 and what we could expect when we venture our wway into that class. Apparently it is more choreogrpahy and layering than simple technique and endurance (level 2 is ALL about endurance) so I am really looking forward to when I feel comfortable attending those classes. Class went very well. We were working on downs. My problem with downs, it seems, is that I forget that to every contraction there needs to be a release in order to make the contraction again. So I get stuck. I had to take a lot of my time forcing myself to release, and practicing on a slower timing. We also did combinations of 3 quarters and singles. 3 quarters are specifically difficult for me since my body doesn't like to hold the last contraction on the third and 4th counts instead of making individual contractions on both. And my biggest problem? Balancing on the toes of one foot while drilling some movement. I need to work on balance and strength.
I am also a creature of habit and schedule. I have a more or less happy relationship with my schedule that mainly revolves around my dance schedule. Wednesday I found out that the dance class schedule is ::gasp:: changing. As of the start of next year, I am no longer going to have my Monday/Wednesday interchangable schedule (both days: 7-8 Dance Movements, 8-9:15 Belly Dance Level 2). It was and is very convenient for me to have the schedule outlined this way. Instead, there will be only one DM class: 8-9pm Mondays. BD2: Tuesdays 6:30-7:45 and Thursday 7-8:15pm. Selfishly, these times really suck for me. Thursdays are my knit night at MFA, and Tuesdays I hang out with the knitting group at work. I'll have to figure out how to manipulate myself to be able to still do everything I want to do. Oof. Oh well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neat to "meet" another belly dancer and knitter! I was looking for other similar blogs, it was fun to find one! Stop by sometime and say hello!

Purl two, shimmy three,
Salihah