Friday, November 03, 2006

Wee!!!!

Eeee!! So I picked up my mail after work tonight (yes, just now at 8:30pm), and woo hoo! I had a little wrapped white envelope that looked remarkably similar to those packets that Susan had recently sent out. I knew who it was from and I had a 33.33% chance of knowing what was inside. Susan did an excellent job of taping the envelope closed, so good in fact that I had to get scissors to cut the side. ;) And what is inside, but ChaCha! Not only was there ChaCha, but when I opened the packet this wonderful smell of... what is it?!?! I keep smushing the skein to my nose to smell it. It is something she washed the skein in? Is it a perfume? The smell is *almost* as rewarding as such a pretty yarn (which looks *exactly* like the picture). Eeee! I can't wait to play with it! Oh the possibilities with this one! Attached to the skein is a cute little green stitch marker, and a nice little card from my sooper-dooper Secret Pal!
It says (and I hope you don't mind me copying it up here!) "I saw this lovely handpainted yarn available only to SP9 participants and knew that you should have some! Something about it's being called ChaCha and you being a dancer that likes blues had me thinking you might like this colorway. I've been following along your knitting two socks on circs and applaud you. I tried it and after one second of mind wandering and I had a uni-sock, oh-no! I kept ditzing out and knitting both socks together on the row. I ultimately had to slip off one sock and knit each sock separately using magic loop. I'd been knitting the Icarus Shawl but have put it aside to concentrate on sock knitting. After you complete your shawl and get back to sock knitting, I hope you enjoy this skein."
Thank you sooooooo much! When I started the two socks, I cast them on independently on their own needles. Once I had the short row toes finished, I slid them evenly onto both needles. I had it right the first time, thought it was wrong and proceeded to take one off and ..undo the rightness. It took more futzing to get them back on the proper way, and since they both looked exactly alike, it was hard to tell when I was knitting what. It really did take me ALL DAY to get into one pattern row on each sock so don't give up!! And you can do magic loop, so that will make it less confusing... as opposed to having to figure out which of the 4 needle ends is the correct one to use next :p I have also seen 2 completed Icarus shawls, and they are BEAUTIFUL. I am highly impressed that you are working on that shawl :o) I would love to see progress (or by the time I am able to find out who you are, the FO), because I am sure it is quite lovely.
Thank you so much for the e-card the other day, and this pretty (and excellent smelling!!) skein. What is that smell?!?! Hooray! ...Now I need to find a box for the things I have for my pal.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just LOVE mail! Glad to see how happy you are with your package.