Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Dance lite

Monday I went to my Dance Movements class, and it must have been the lightest class all year as far as attendance goes. Before the schedule change, the class usually had 10-15 people at maximum. Thus far the class had had upward around 25 people, and in a dance studio where you need to be able to extend your limbs in all directions without smacking someone next to you, things became complicated. It was very hard to move and focus on working out/drilling because we (at least I) was too concerned with not hitting someone accidentally. So the lightness of Monday was a releif and welcomed. We probably still had around 15 people, and compared to last year, it used to be a stretch. I think what caused the business as of late was the new year and people getting back into their dance schedules, and the fact that there was a Master class and a worshop in January.
I am beginning to assume that K and T are seeing me as a "regular" and more advanced, because when we are doing bar work and it is slightly too crowded for everyone to be on the bar at once, I have become one of the ones that gets kicked off the bar. Monday K was scanning the bar to find people who could handle being in the center; apparently my trying to hide from her line of sight wasn't working too well. When we were standing on our left leg and doing battements with the right I did pretty well. I wasn't rocky and falling over, and could even get into releve for a while. Then when we were supposed to be on our right leg doing battements with out left leg, it was either a combination of my right leg as a standing leg being weaker or the heads of everyone else bobbing around, but I couldn't do half of what I accomplished on the other side. Overall it was a good class. I am beginning to like the new format set up as far as the rotation goes, and it is making me work and think about different things. I guess it is good to break the normal routine and have something new to work on.

No comments: