Friday, June 02, 2006

Dance and Cats

As I expected, Wednesday's dance class kicked my butt. It was Passe week in Dance Movements. My releve is not strong enough to hold me through some of those movements, and it was especially worse since we were working on jazz passes (toes, feet, knees pointed forward) while my feet wanted to have their turn out, creating ballet passes. I think perhaps the ballet is slightly easier than jazz, so that's why I kept slipping into it. After passe work, we started to work on our turns. Mine... sucked. I blame the releve and lack of dancing for a week.

Belly Dance II was interesting. We were working on twists, which I guess I seemed to be okay on when we were just walking with them in releve (funny how in this class, the releve makes things easier). Once we starting doing things like adding paus de bourette or chasse to the foot work, I would get all screwed up. Pretty much because of timing. The two mentioned foot patterns are done on three beats with the fourth resting, while the twists are done on all four beats. That means that one the last beat, you're standing on one foot and still moving with a twist. But then because with that off beat the foot pattern changes, my twists wanted to start going the opposite way once I started the next 3 foot patterns. And that probably made no sense. Baiscally, it was confusing. And my glutes were lagging on the twists, so I'd have to stop and play catch up with my body. The classes were agreat work out. I was sweating and exhausted when I left.

There are two Suhaila workshops in the near future that I am considering signing up for. Of course I am only going to do one of them, but which one I still need to decide. There is a weeklong workshop August 7-11 that I might want to do. I need to ask about what will be in it, since I am not sure I'd be able to handle a Level 2 workshop. It doesn't say much about what will be involved other than Level 1 and 2 option certifications at the end. The other I am thinking of attending is the 3 day Level I workshop September 8-10. I think this one might be okay to try since I have already been Level I Certified and feel comfortable with what will be covered. In this one, I would also only miss one day of work instead of having to balance the dancing during the day and working at night with the week long. Doesn't that sentance sound backwards. :p

Knit night was quiet last night. For most of the time there were only 5 of us (plus M and W). I spent the whole time fiddling with the Touch Me yarn and what I wanted to do. I also managed to twist my center two stitches around the whole thing, so I had to frog and start again. I think it is going to be garter stitch all the way. I'm also finding it a slight PITA that in order to keept the verticle stripes, I have to twist the colors over each opther. Which means that after a few rows, my four balls are all tangled on each other and the yarn is twisted and I need to take breaks every now and then to untangle everything. Mmmmm but it's so soft feeling. Oh! I also noticed that when I was packing my knitting this morning, that one needle was poking out of my bag. And yes, the cats found it. And yes, the point was chewed off. I bought new needles, needless to say. But the good thing about everything is that I have decided how I am going to do the scarf and it is already all on the needles.

/week

No comments: