Sunday, August 12, 2007

Placed Cable Aran

I have been making some good progress on my Placed Cable Aran from the Interweave Knits fall 2007 issue. The issue just came out and I received mine shortly before finishing my cabled socks (which of course I don't have a picture of). I was very excited about a number of patterns in the issue, and I realized that I have the perfect yarn substitute for the Fiber Trends Naturally Harmony 10 ply that is called for in the Placed Cable Aran Sweater. I had to play with needle sizes and knit (and frog) quite a few gauge swatches. I finally got gauge by using US10 knitting needles with my RYC Cashsoft Aran yarn that I purchased at the Stitches West in February. Perfect!
This sweater, as with the Gatsby Girl Pullover, I have edited in order to knit it in the round for not wanting to have seams on the sides. I am also planning on not binding off the neck of the body only to pick up the stitches again, so instead I will place the stitches on holders and pick them all up together. I never thought knitting sweaters could be so easy! This is only my second top, and thus far I am 2 for 2 in not following the pattern exactly and somehow modifying it to my own desires.
This sweater is going pretty quickly (especially compared to the 2x2 ribbing in the last one!) and I am already working on shaping the sleeves on the back. I started this on Wednesday, and I think before too long I'll be trying it on.

3 comments:

BeanMama said...

Wow, girl! You are SMOKIN'!! You'll be done with that thing by the time I see you again. Dayam!

Anonymous said...

That looks great! And how satisfying to know it knits up so quickly! Can't wait to see the completed version.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The aran is looking GREAT! Your comment about modifying to work in the round reminds me of the Tangled Yoke Cardigan (which I am dying to knit). Eunny Jang says that the whole thing is pretty much knitted in one piece, with reverse stockinette "seams" for appearance. I thought that was interesting...

Yay for yarn substituting! :)